I enjoy using news articles in speech therapy with older students to change it up. Many of my older students are not as motivated as I wish they were about speech. Sometimes they just don’t want to open up and chat when that’s exactly what they need to be more successful communicators. News events can be a great way to start conversations with students, but it can be tough to find sources that don’t discuss violence or sexuality.
I dug into all the online resources and found the top 10 kid-friendly news websites. I know you will find therapy planning a whole lot easier with these websites at your finger tips. Explore the links below to find your favorite!
- DOGO News – Kids news articles! Kids current events; plus kids news on science, sports, and more!
- Nick News for Kids – Watch News Specials & Video Documentaries
- Tween Tribune
- Youngzine | News and more for the Young
- CNN Student News – CNN.com
- NBC Learn
- News For Your Classroom
- Here There Everywhere – News for Kids
- Time For Kids
- Newsela | Nonfiction Literacy and Current Events
Let me know your favorites from this list! I like DOGO and Tween Tribune 🙂