Do you need creative teletherapy activities for students? Well, right now I’m obsessed with live cams on YouTube and my favorites are ones from places I’d like to visit. In fact, if you have a laptop, you could definitely use this during in-person speech therapy too But before I go any further, I should define what a “live cam” is. A live cam is a webcam placed somewhere by an individual or an organization in a location all over the world and the webcam then live-streams whatever is right in front of them. As you can see from the list below, there are a variety of live webcams. Webcams line up with people’s various interests from animals, trains, and places, which are listed below.
Why Live Cams?
My personal favorite is to watch the livestreams of Venice, Italy. If you explore YouTube, you will find a ton of live cams in Venice that are posted by hotels. Well, I don’t speak Italian and I have never been to Venice, but now I want to go! So, why don’t I watch a webcam from a Spanish-speaking place, since I speak Spanish? Well, you will find that if you search webcams, it’s totally random where there are webcams and there seem to be a lot in certain parts of the world, and fewer in other places. I cannot explain why there are so many in Venice, but nevertheless I like it.
So I’ve created a list of live cam YouTube channels and then underneath each bullet point, I’ve placed a link to one of the livestreams from that channel that I thought was interesting. I encourage you to explore all of the livestreams under a channel that look interesting to you or for your students. For example, the YouTube channel RailWay has a ton of livestreams of trains all over the world! Over the years I’ve had many students who love trains — how perfect!
Video Use in Speech Therapy
How can you use these videos in speech therapy? Well, if you have a student with a special interest in a certain animal or they like trains, outer space or a place in this world, you can use them in your sessions. I think these videos could be used in speech therapy for goals related to answering WH-questions, using action verbs, or increasing vocabulary while describing a picture. Or a video could be used as a reward for students after the work of a session has been completed. There are many ways to use these videos!
NOTE: I will say that you will want to preview the ads in front of various videos (before screen sharing with students). Please note that live cams are *live* and they capture what is happening right in front of the camera. So the train live cams will capture their surroundings (lots of snow and then sometimes the trains stop) and the animal live cams might show animals doing things animals do — all I’m saying is there is a chance for something unexpected happening. For example, a bear might eat a salmon. Just keep that in mind.
20 Live Cams for Use in Speech Therapy
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnM5iMGiKsZg-iOlIO2ZkdQ
- Jellyfish Live Cam: https://youtu.be/28cnxCbix0k
- Explore Oceans – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSyg9cb3Iq-NtlbxqNB9wGw
- Seal Lion Beach https://youtu.be/f6KyNadD2zs
- Explore Live Nature Cams – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2KSeUU5SMCX6XLRD-AEvw
- Bears Fishing in a Stream – https://youtu.be/IcWTPFnqOLo
- Explore Farm Life – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMWAvusUV2eeVVHZDKiMKrw
- Pigs at Pasture – https://youtu.be/LX3-YLM2fwg
- Marine Mammal Rescue Centre – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BIY40WypVskXod63fu-Tw
- Baby Sea Otter – https://youtu.be/zxYribbndTM
- Explore Bears & Bison – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Sk0aXLq3ADkH_USGPKT_Q
- Happiness Village Baby Panda Park – https://youtu.be/4GsvgKu1060
- Kansas City Zoo – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_pPFW2jn1pUT1O5D1m3brg
- KC Zoo Penguin Cam – https://youtu.be/XQG9FlXL_Fw
- RailWay – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP8wWzfUcral_E6iNMdIdKg
- North Pole Live Train – https://youtu.be/Nn040P_KSFk
- RailCowGirl – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-Xm8j6WBgKY8OG7s9r2vQ
- Train Cab View from Norway – https://youtu.be/N9VumpR1TMc
- Virtual Railfan – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIkT9bq-1N2BvrsBjhNlag
- Train Yard: Ft. Madison Iowa – https://youtu.be/cOHhA_XIZZw
- CosmoSapiens – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ZODI-xZfdPanPP6tKUg9g
- Astronaut Spacewalk Earth NASA FEED – https://youtu.be/mg7FweYjasE
- Space Videos – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCakgsb0w7QB0VHdnCc-OVEA
- Earth From Space from ISS – https://youtu.be/XBPjVzSoepo
- I Love You Venice – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpn1qLudF-zb4M4bqxLIbw
- Rolling Cam: Canals of Venice – https://youtu.be/ph1vpnYIxJk
- BroadwaveLiveCams – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6RbL0ZAyA_rc__Acbqh2mw
- Port of Miami Webcam – https://youtu.be/xuoy96nMcUk
- Good Stuff Restaurants – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJGxm_Pj2RX7R9L9NpelIA
- Hermosa Beach, California – https://youtu.be/wc4Vy1T6hcE
- Tokyo Live Camera – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbTLJi8lXWIt_d1AtRv4Nmw
- Tokyo Live Camera – https://youtu.be/6YRUWrkV2R4
- WebCamNL – Netherlands – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYY-2yoidlVaNFYIjqRkzuw
- Netherlands Street – https://youtu.be/vPxAgn3EtDQ
- LEVIski – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1HDQ1Q5nVHYF8e7dL4E-pw
- Zero Point Levi Finland – https://youtu.be/LwihxyJ4V20
- City of Hollywood Florida – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVtTjaaajzCaWsMxHBmTIsA
- Live Beach Cam Hollywood Beach Broadwalk FL – https://youtu.be/cmkAbDUEoyA
- Mobotix Webcams Russia – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz1GKiqSoG2DSesCQ3SoFYg
- Live Camera Intersection St Petersburg Russia – https://youtu.be/FRq3sw5fQt8
These are just a small sampling of what you can find out there on YouTube. I highly recommend you jump right in and explore beyond my suggestions!